Monday 10 April 2017

TRAVEL | POSTCARDS FROM ONTARIO, CANADA


If you've been following my Instagram, you'll know that I've just spent the last week or so in Canada. I had a wonderful time wandering around Toronto, seeing Niagara falls and hanging out in my friend's hometown of Point Edward. I thought I'd share a few photos of my trip with you guys and give you a little run down of what I got up to.

WARNING: Picture heavy post



Toronto


I flew into Toronto and after a gruelling 19 hour journey I was exhausted and kinda hungry. We ate a quick and late dinner at a burger restaurant across from the hotel called Duke's Refresher. Now I love a good burger, and believe me Duke's does a good burger, but I was so tired that eating it was somewhat taxing.

The next day we headed out to explore. Starting the day at a cute breakfast place called eggspectations. We then made our way over to the distillery district for a wander round, we had a little meander around some of the shops and explored the artist's studios housed in the district. The time of year meant that it was super quiet but it was nice to be able to explore in peace. We also stumbled across a cute love lock monument.


I love some exposed brick and oversized wall clocks

Breakfast is 100% my favourite meal of the day




Inside the distillery district







Then it was onto the CN Tower. The time of year meant it was super quiet at the tower as well which meant no queues and uninterrupted views (read: photo opps); I was not complaining at all. I really loved the view from the tower as you can see the full breadth of all the glass skyscrapers and Lake Ontario.



In the evening, we had dinner at an Italian restaurant called Gusto. I would highly recommend the tiramisu there - it's rich, creamy and the perfect size to satiate a sweet tooth without being overkill. We then took a little stroll down Queen's street west, stopping in Rivoli, a cocktail bar for a small tipple before heading to the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario). I got to know the Group of Seven. I can't say they were particularly to my taste - paintings of natural landscapes aren't really my thing if I'm honest - but I did like some of Emily Carr's paintings and it was all part of the cultural experience.


I had the ragu which was a mixture of beef, pork and veal (I know it's controversial but it was tasty)

Niagara Falls


Fran's Diner in Toronto had the cutest interiors!

After a quick breakfast at Fran's Diner in Toronto, we started our trip out to Niagara Falls. We arrived in Niagara Falls after a quick pitstop in Missisauga to grab lunch (read: ice cream) with another friend at a very instagrammable eatery, Dunk n Dip and snagging some bargains at Premium Outlets - Nike Thea's at $34CAD were just too good to pass up.


I was lucky enough to stay at in a fallsview room, but of course I had to go down to the falls and get a proper photo. We also went to a lovely bar called R5 Lounge, which is in the top of the Fallsview mall and has really up-market vibe which is made even better by the reasonably priced cocktails!





Point Edward & Sarnia



I then spent the rest of my week in Point Edward, a quaint village on the Canadian - USA border with Michigan and home to the Bluewater bridge. The week involved lots of delicious (and indulgent) meals out, hanging out with some new friends and taking walks along the Saint Clair River, whilst also getting a bit of dissertation work done as unfortunately my deadline is not waiting for me.













I also took a little time to explore the nearby towns of Sarnia and London. I went to Sarnia's Judith and Norman Alix Gallery which had a couple of exhibitions featuring local artists and Canadian culture. My favourite exhibition was the Elusive Utopia exhibition featuring some homegrown talents. I particularly loved Matthew Cramer's paintings which depict serene environments with hidden images of combat - covert political messages perhaps? I then found this kitsch cafe with the most adorable cupcakes; the vibe definitely transported me back to Barcelona and hours spent in my favourite Alsur Cafe. Of course, I had to indulge in a little red velvet delight.





We also took a little trip out to London to visit, believe it or not, Covent Garden Market. London, Ontario also has a St. Paul's Cathedral. As they say imitation is the highest form of flattery and the proud Brit in me was very flattered.







Martha xo 

Follow

Go behind the blog and follow me on INSTAGRAM



No comments:

Post a Comment

I really love hearing your thoughts, so drop me a comment! :)

Blog design by KotrynaBassDesign